An attempt of a University of Warwick History and Politics graduate to find worthwhile employment in a difficult job market.

Tuesday 30 August 2011

Finding doors into the media world.

I don't remember a time when I wasn't fascinated by the media. When I was little, I could recite pretty much every advert on TV and have always been interested in acting.

Looking into getting jobs in the world of the media, while it is an expanding Market in many ways with social media and new marketing methods being deployed - it remains hard. Particularly for someone like me who has that interest and passion but has only got an A in AS Level Media Studies.

So here's my plea to any media employers who might be reading this....

I have so much enthusiasm for working in the media, what drives me most in this area is the constant change and innovation we see there. The Internet, being possibly the biggest advancement in communication technology ever, is changing how businesses operate and target their customers. The markets are slowly all becoming universal and open to all and the media marketing strategies need adapting to accomodate this change.

Working with these new media techniques is something that brings me great joy. I have become competent at Adobe Photoshop since before my studies in Media at school and have taught myself a lot of detailed techniques since. I set up a flash mob society at the University of Warwick and used Facebook and YouTube to organise events - have a look here.

Finally, if this blog and the Twitter account that you may or may not have been directed to it from wasn't enough to show I have a good working knowledge of it's uses and heaps of initiative and innovative drive behind me then I don't know how else to show you!

I'm very much motivated by new ideas and different ways of doing things, shown particularly by the flash mob society. I am pursuing a new business idea that requires a large and complex website to be set up along with an app alongside it. I'm not afraid of looking at these new ideas and seeing where they lead.

I have come close to securing impressive positions at graduate level, including being within the final 112 applicants of 4000 who submitted for the BBC Production Trainee Scheme. I really believe that I would do a fantastic job in a similar position due to my ideas-driven persona and would also be interested in positions around marketing using my knowledge of social media.

... So, there you have it. I have applied for media jobs recently as well as campaigning jobs for charities, so we will see how this kind of application goes. I really am not limiting myself to one kind of job and I will next be writing about why I apply for jobs in politics, my third passion.

Stay lucky,

Jon

CV: http://goo.gl/NzGU1
LinkedIn: http://goo.gl/jsuyJ
Twitter: @getjonajob



"Don't hate the media, become the media." Jello Biafra (someone I don't usually associate myself I must add...)

No comments:

Post a Comment