An attempt of a University of Warwick History and Politics graduate to find worthwhile employment in a difficult job market.

Wednesday 10 August 2011

Bleeding a job seeker dry, to get stone rich.... The expense of getting employed.

I have a theory: to earn money, you must spend money.

Today I got a promising email regarding a graduate scheme that I applied for a few weeks ago. They say that my application has got me through to a verbal and numerical test - great! I am very confident at this stage as I am good at those sort of tests and have traditionally handled them well.

But here's the catch. In order to complete the test, I have to physically go there myself. Oh yes, this company (which is by no means small) wants me to travel from Kent to Oxford just to complete a 1-hour test... and it is not even an assessment centre! That's two more stages down the line, after a phone interview.

Most of the verbal and numerical tests I have completed in previous applications have been online, or any writing tasks in the application have been at the assessment centre. But no, this company wants me to spend as much money on train fees as possible before they give me a hopeful chance at getting on the scheme.

If they conducted the phone interview first, and asked me to do the tests at the assessment centre (assuming I get there) then I would have less of a problem! I have no issue with doing the tests, nor the phone interview or the assessment centre - that's just how things are done these days. But I do have a slight issue with paying silly money just for a one hour test that could be done at a later time!

So there we go, I'm out of work and I'll have to travel to Oxford twice assuming I get to the assessment centre, and even then I still might not get a place. Is this a waste or are they seeing who really wants the job? I like the role and would enjoy the work, but I don't enjoy this application procedure!

Many more application procedures would make me very poor indeed! Here's hoping I get the role, or something else in the meantime.

Signing off today both encouraged but disheartened.

Jon

CV: http://goo.gl/NzGU1
LinkedIn: http://goo.gl/jsuyJ
Twitter: @getjonajob



“Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.” Herman Cain

4 comments:

  1. How much is the train fair? Try and raise money though donations, see if any of your followers on twitter, Facebook etc will donate money? Set up a paypal account to let people donate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you're a Jobseeker then your local Job Centre will reimburse all travel expenses for interviews. So basically, any costs incurred by travelling to/from interviews/testing/assessment centres (anything relating to gaining employment) will be covered by them - hope this helps with the financial aspect of your jobhunt!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now it's looking like £23 plus tube on my Oyster card...
    That's a good idea, I also have been told that the job centre might be able to pay for the travel. Will be happy if anyone does feel charitable to donate at least some of the fare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha didn't see that second comment, SarahLou - someone told me the same today. Thanks a lot for the clarification!

    ReplyDelete