An attempt of a University of Warwick History and Politics graduate to find worthwhile employment in a difficult job market.

Wednesday 24 August 2011

All work (finding) and no (more) play .... Makes Jon a glad boy.

Well I'm sure you - all of my avid and wholehearted supporters and readers - have gone out of your minds as I haven't updated for nearly a fortnight!

To put your minds to rest and feed the irreplaceable hole that has left you feeling like you have no purpose anymore... no wait, that's just me. Anyway, I have been away on a family holiday which was very enjoyable despite it simultaneously being in the most dreadful location ever - that which has no wifi!

Plus, I am still without permanent employment, so no change really! However just because I have been away doesn't mean things haven't been changing... Here's an update of my situation:

GOOD NEWS! Well, relatively. The graduate scheme in Oxford that I applied for (that wanted me to travel there for one hour to do tests before maybe going up again for an assessment centre) have seen sense and sent me online tests to do instead! Hurrah! No waste of money is needed and I will sit down today or tomorrow to give them my best shot.

BAD NEWS! (I imagined saying these in the voices of the KFC advert voice-over guy.) I had a couple of rejections from political jobs I applied for a few weeks back. One of them had 150 applicants!

INDIFFERENT NEWS! I signed up for a few mystery shopping agencies a few weeks ago, as that sounded like a good job to do as I have time on my hands. I got a few updates but nothing in my area so didn't really pursue it, but then out of the blue I got a phone call from one of the agencies who wanted me to conduct a visit on Monday, which I did and thoroughly enjoyed. Hopefully my work was good enough for them and I get more opportunities. I had to act as someone else, which took me back to my drama days as a teenager!

I'll be getting back into the swing of job hunting in the next few days and I'll let all you wonderful people know what happens with them. The holiday was great but I'm equally as happy to be back and channeling my energy into this campaign.

Not a day went by where I wasn't wishing to update this! I missed writing down my thoughts and what I have been up to. I expect no sympathy, all I ask is your forgiveness and I promise that I will never leave you again... Except maybe if this works and I get a job or I'm still going at 85 and my fingers have become numb with the typing.

In the meantime, thanks again to everyone who has helped me so far. A big thank you goes out to Milkround and Jobsite who have tweeted and retweeted about me, many thanks you guys - my appreciation is unending!

Anyway, excuse me - I have a job to find.

Jon

CV: http://goo.gl/NzGU1
LinkedIn: http://goo.gl/jsuyJ
Twitter: @getjonajob




On a side note, I'm going to give blood next week. If you're healthy and not utterly petrified of needles, definitely do it. It makes you feel fantastic, you save lives and you get a free cup of tea and a biscuit at the end. What's not to love?!

Do something amazing. Give blood. http://www.blood.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment