An attempt of a University of Warwick History and Politics graduate to find worthwhile employment in a difficult job market.

Thursday 11 August 2011

Do companies that hire graduates from "any discipline" walk the walk?

I must have spoken to hundreds of recruiters at careers fairs and read multiple graduate scheme adverts which state that they would employ a graduate from "any discipline".

The lure of the financial organisations, marketing companies and sales roles and the big OTE bonuses is often hard to resist when you are a younger and more naive History and Politics undergraduate. I remember applying for an internship for the summer after first year with one of the 'Big 4' financial services corporations, being hooked by the "any discipline" line. I got the phone interview but by that stage it became apparent that I really didn't know enough about the industry and therefore wasn't invited to the assessment centre.

As it turns out, I believe I dodged a bullet there. Since then I have heard of the horrific working hours of such roles and I know now that such intensity is not for me.

To me it seems that business is getting bigger and bigger nowadays but only within itself. What I mean is the endless consultants, training, development agencies, management layers and support workers are just out there to justify their existence. Hardly anyone in the UK seems to make or do anything anymore! It's all corporate strategy, financial planning or sales research. I just want to be out there, making a real difference and making people's lives better.

Oh no! I'm starting to sound like a young politician, or a communist. Let me backtrack a little.

I'm an ideas man. I am motivated by innovative methods, new concepts and interesting thoughts. I couldn't think of anything worse to do than Actuary or Tax Advice... No offense to those who do or want to do such things! While I am also quite good with numbers (with an A in A-Level Maths), working all day with risk, spreadsheets or corporate snobs just isn't for me.

However, the roles of marketing and media are areas that I do have more interest in. Earlier this year I reached an assessment centre for a graduate position with a large company looking at marketing strategy on behalf of other corporations with a view to brand development. I was interested in this role and despite not getting further than the assessment centre, my feedback stated that I did well but made a couple of small errors.

Having performed well, the other (secret) reason I didn't get the job was that the other people at the assessment centre were mainly business and marketing students or graduates. Did I really stand much of chance? Not unless they all got out of bed the wrong way and insulted the interviewers - which it appears didn't happen that time.

So here's my message to employers: if you are hiring for an graduate accountant engineer sales advisor assistant trainee executive or whatever ridiculous titles the are nowadays and want someone who knows quite a bit about that sort of thing, then target specifically the accounting & finance, business management, and economics graduates and leave us arty farty students with our aspirations alone. Let's face it, why would you hire a historian? Even if I could do the role competently - you have no interest in the 17th century. Save us the disappointment of being one of the people who applied with the faint hope of you sticking to your word, only to be left out.

My conclusion: in job descriptions "any discipline" means "any related discipline". Fact.

I realise that this has become a slight rant, so I would like to end on a positive note. That's to thank all of you sending in your support and helping me in any way you can on Twitter. It really is giving me a lot of encouragement and I appreciate it immensely, so thanks - you're all brilliant people! Good luck to all those who have got in contact in the same boat too!

Jon

CV: http://goo.gl/NzGU1
LinkedIn: http://goo.gl/jsuyJ
Twitter: @getjonajob



"Corporations cannot commit treason, or be outlawed or excommunicated, for they have no souls." Sir Edward Coke

No comments:

Post a Comment