An attempt of a University of Warwick History and Politics graduate to find worthwhile employment in a difficult job market.

Monday 8 August 2011

All talk, but no job yet - creating my own position.

Like all great inventors: Edison, Dyson, the guy behind JML... I am seeking to solve a problem by creating the solution myself. In this case, I am looking at encouraging a local organisation to help me set up a community project based around the online archive Historypin, or starting up my own business.

Now, I have made some progress on getting a Historypin project up and running with my local council's archive being positive and enthusiastic when I emailed them regarding my ideas.

BUT... And it is a big but... Right now there is no way to fund this kind of thing easily. The council itself cannot fund it as they are cutting staff, which is therefore understandable. However if I want to do this then I need some form of capital to keep me going. Don't get me wrong, I'm not out there to make millions on this - I just really want to do it as I am fascinated by the project and local history.

We are currently looking at different ways of funding it and the new Big Society Bank is a possible source, but all this takes time and it may be months before we see the project take off in a major way with financial support allowing me to focus on it full time.

So, aside from this, I have an idea for a new business - great! Now where are my business qualifications or credentials...? Oh wait. I seem to have left them behind when I neglected studying Economics or Business Studies at GCSE and chose Latin and Media Studies instead.... Something I never thought I would actually regret!

This is a problem!

I am a graduate of history and politics with fantastic ideas and bags of enthusiasm yet not a clue about how to set up a business. I feel like a perfect candidate for The Apprentice.

The government, it turns out, are relatively helpful! They have this website - Business Link, which helps businesses set up and manage their affairs. Seems pretty handy but I still lack the business savvy mind that would make this a success.

Furthermore, the business could potentially become a huge online service provider which needs not only vast financial but technical support too. These possibly could be sorted out but I am looking into sorting myself a mentor with experience in setting up something like this to see if it is plausible and financially viable.

In the meantime, it seems I have a mind capable of generating new and exciting ideas (for example this blog or the Warwick FlashMob Society - check this out on YouTube... ) but can only do so much alone when it comes to implementing them. So if there is a job out there for such an ideas man - get in touch!

Signing off on a lovely Monday, enjoy the beginning to your week!

Jon

P.S. You're awesome.

CV: http://goo.gl/NzGU1
Twitter: @getjonajob

No comments:

Post a Comment