An attempt of a University of Warwick History and Politics graduate to find worthwhile employment in a difficult job market.

Monday 5 September 2011

Fearing assessment centres

Tomorrow I have an assessment day for a graduate scheme. My track record so far is not fantastic, but also not disastrous.

This will be my fourth assessment day, and have had some similar experiences yet each time they have had their unique moments.

What I liked about the email that I received before the assessment day was that there was preliminary work linked to the work itself. I think this is a brilliant idea as it makes the job application more important to me and gets me into the role more, and it allows the company to see my own work in action.

While seeing my teamwork skills by putting me and strangers in a fictional desert where we have to prioritise items may be empirically useful, but a scenario such as that is actually unrealistic and not truthful in real life.

I'm still expecting the useless time-wasting scenarios, however the prepared work and discussion about that I hope will be a prominent part of the decision process and allow me to shine properly.

I'll be updating about how it goes maybe tomorrow, but maybe the day after - it will be a long day!

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment